Friday, July 01, 2005

Checklists

Checklists. Ah. They are grocery checklists, task checklists, and wedding checklists. Up until yesterday, I had never heard of a “breakup checklist.” Sounds hilarious at first, but evidently in the UK, there is a website dedicated to helping cohabiting couples understand their rights. In a nation with about 25% of unmarried adults living together, it’s really quite intriguing as the website helps dispel the myth of common law marriage. I looked over this checklist and actually found it to be quite practical especially as more and more of my own friends have opted to live together even more before the wedding bells start ringing. Is this kind of arrangement healthy for the relationship? I really wonder how does cohabiting impact a couple’s chances of eventually tying the knot. Judging from my own experience and observations, choosing to cohabit should really be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, since all couples are different. For some, the mere idea of living together would come not only as a shock to them, but more so to their families as being socially unacceptable. In an age where more people want to “try before they buy,” though, I believe that we should see cohabiting increase over the years.

Now, the question is, would I want my daughter or son living together before they get married? That’s a tough one…

cohabit

No comments: