Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A Pocketbook? From huh to duh...

I had an interesting conversation today with an elderly lady in the elevator. It all started when I got into the elevator and pressed the button for my floor. With the usual polite smile you give people in the elevator that don’t look threatening or like a stalker, I smiled to her casually. She then made a very puzzling comment and said that you have a very unique pocketbook. Okay, I don’t quite know what she means, but when I was in school, a pocketbook was a small book, right? Well, I guess I must have missed out on the third definition of the word: a purse!

Who would’ve known a pocketbook is also called a purse? Was the lingo they used back in the 50s or 60s? Anyways, I didn’t want to offend her or question what she was referring to so I just smiled and said “thank you” – while scratching my head and wondering what the heck she meant. Now I know better! I guess it’s kind of like saying “pop” when you’re in Michigan, and soda when you’re in San Diego!

No comments: